Category Archives: Home
Battle over Ohio military voting law reflects high political stakes
Will Military Men And Women Be Allowed To Vote?
Published August 07, 2012 By Judson Berger on FoxNews.com
An obscure Ohio voting law is suddenly at the center of a nasty dispute between the Obama and Romney campaigns — months before Election Day, in a case that underscores how the campaigns are poised to fight for every last vote.
The Obama campaign says its court challenge to Ohio’s policy is about basic fairness. The campaign objects to the state’s two-tiered system allowing members of the military to participate in early voting until the Monday before Election Day, while everybody else faces a Friday deadline.
But there’s no denying the dispute is rich with political implications. In a close race, the campaigns are preemptively fighting over a contest that could hold electoral sway akin to Florida’s in 2000.
“I think that everything that’s been done, everything that’s been said is political, on both sides,” said John Goheen, spokesman with the National Guard Association of the United States, which, along with more than a dozen other military groups, filed a motion opposing the Obama campaign’s suit.
Here are a few relevant facts:
- Polling consistently shows military members less keen on President Obama than non-military. Gallup polling in May gave Mitt Romney a 58-34 advantage over Obama among veterans.
- Ohio has 18 electoral votes. Obama narrowly won the state in 2008. No Republican has won the presidency without winning Ohio.
- Ohio’s two-tiered system is unusual. However, Ohio is hardly alone among early voting states in making Friday the cutoff for most voters. Of the 32 states that allow early voting, most of them end that voting by the Friday before the election. Only 11 states allow early voting until Monday.
So why, then, the sudden attention on Ohio’s voting law?
Because it’s Ohio, said Steffen Schmidt, a political science professor at Iowa State University.
“This is one of the states where you can’t not punch back,” Schmidt told FoxNews.com.
Schmidt said he doubts this dispute — over military members getting three extra days to vote — will amount to an election-deciding moment.
But he said it shows how hyper-focused both campaigns are on just a handful of battleground states, from the ads in those states to the court challenges over voter laws.
Schmidt suggested this could be risky business for the Obama campaign, since “you don’t ever want to really take on the military” or at least create that impression. But he said that if the Obama campaign can put out the message that other voters aren’t getting a fair shake, it could end up energizing non-military Obama supporters in the state.
Meanwhile, the lawsuit — and subsequent challenge from military groups — has turned into somewhat of a political Rorschach test.
Romney’s campaign effectively accused Obama of objecting to military early-voting privileges. Obama’s campaign countered that, to the contrary, it merely wanted to extend that lengthy period for everybody.
“The way Gov. Romney stated [the situation] is completely false,” Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod said on “Fox News Sunday.” “It’s shameful that Gov. Romney would hide behind our service men and women.”
Romney’s campaign countered again, with counsel Katie Biber releasing a memo Sunday defending the state of Ohio.
“It is not only constitutional, but commendable that the Ohio Legislature granted military voters and their families this accommodation. It is despicable for the Obama campaign to challenge Ohio’s lawful decision,” she wrote.
Goheen told FoxNews.com that, while military groups filed the motion in opposition to the Obama campaign’s suit, his association actually has no objection to making Monday the cutoff for everybody.
He said the association got involved mainly to make sure “our members in Ohio had a voice,” and is staying out of the politics of the dispute.
“What we don’t want to see happen is a pullback of military voting rights to that Friday,” he said.
Ohio used to allow everybody to vote until Monday, but Ohio’s GOP-controlled government changed the law and created the two-tiered system.
Day 4. 100 Days To Wealth Blogging Challengehttp://youtu.be/ltvJkE7WOkQ If you are new here, I have challenged you to a 100 Day Content/blogging production challenge. The ultimate goal in your own business is to increase your value to others which will increase your income exponentially. That is exactly why I am throwing this 100 Days to wealth content challenge to you! I am increasing MY VALUE in your eyes which also increases my overall income with the more people that I help. You Can Recap the benefits to you for taking my challenge >> Click Here << or review here:
- MASSIVE Exposure.
- Expert Status.
- Relationship building.
- Increase Your Value.
- ACTUAL EXPERT. Not just status but in real knowledge.
- Habit Building!
p.s. If You Didn't Hear My 100 Days to $10k a Month Call The Other Night You CanClick Here To Get Your Own Blog Already Ranked In The Top 500 Sites In The World.
Did you Hear Michael Buble's Duet With A 15 Year Old Boy?http://youtu.be/o6TKpkY4WcM What the Heck! That Kid is .... Wow! Now here is a quick money tip on how Michael Buble's Duet With A 15 Year Old Boy Can Make You Money With Empower. First of All the video is extremely popular. So obviously people love to watch it, tweet it, share it, like it etc... Now you could share this like I did with my daughter and her mouth dropped open and she went Wow ... OMG. I could share it on youtube which is great, OR I COULD POST IT RIGHT HERE ON MY Empower blog. People will like it and share it right here on my blog post... Just like I want you to do. Share this video on twitter or with your friends and send them right here to see it. ALSO for you networkers and home Business People share this link so they can learn this great tip so the people you know can make money with their blog. So Here is a couple simple tips so that you can make money with Michael Buble's Duet With A 15 Year Old Boy. Step 1... Share it every where RIGHT NOW. Step 2... Comment Below Right NOW. Step 3... Get Your Own Money Making Blog Right Here Right Now and profit from Michael Buble's Duet With A 15 Year Old Boy!
Should Senator Rick Santorum Quit Acting Conservative?So Should Senator Rick Santorum Quit Acting Conservative? Right now he is trying to ride a wave of attention into the white house. But does anyone know what any of these candidates really stand for? (Click Here For Free Video Information)
Empower Network Funded Proposalhttp://youtu.be/ncNr9AH4MfY Use Empower Network as your Funded Proposal or as a marketing tool or as a primary business, it's all here under one system... The Empower Network. Get it Here
100 Day Challenge To Start Online Blogginghttp://youtu.be/V0yEVnCPQT4 Hey Everyone. Whether you are on my team or not, I am challenging you to a 100 Day Content/blogging production challenge. In the long run this will vastly increase your value to others and eventually increase your income exponentially. Now why would I offer this to you and help you even if you are not on my team? Because I am increasing MY VALUE in your eyes which in the long run increases my income the more people that I help. What are the benefits to you?
- Well first, MASSIVE Exposure. Imagine having at least 100 pieces of content out there working on your behalf day in and day out.
- Expert Status. When People see all the content you have out there on the internet they will begin to view as an expert.
- Attraction. To get 100 Days of decent content you will have to learn something and share something with your readers. Sharing valuable information attracts others to you!
- Relationship building. As people watch your videos and read your content and see your pictures they are getting to know you. Imagine all of these people getting to know you while you are on vacation, at work, with your family, or even while you sleep.
- Increase Your Value. To keep sharing you will have to keep learning. The more you know and the more you share the more valuable you become.
- You WILL BE AN EXPERT. Think about it, for content you go and learn something. By sharing it you are teaching it. NOW it is embedded more into you and your habits.
- Structured Habits! This is the last one I will go into... But all good or bad habits come through repetitive daily action. This is the best way to start developing a habit that could make you a fortune.